The rising popularity of automobile travel eventually led to the demise of the Harmony Line. April 22, 1931 marked the last day of operation for the Butler-Pittsburgh Route. The rest of the Harmony Line continued to operate throughout the summer but experienced losses.
The last Harmony Line trolley rolled into the Harmony car barn at 4:48 a.m. August, 15, 1931. The end of an era had come.
In the succeeding years, all of the tracks and buildings associated with the Harmony Line were torn down and sold for scrap. The cars were ceremoniously burned. The Pennsylvania Power Company assumed ownership of the routes in order to continue providing electricity for rural patrons.
Just a few relics of the Harmony Line exist today. Apart from several crumbling edifices, a couple stations have been refurbished. A catering business owns the former Wexford station. And the Evans City depot currently sits for sale after housing a filling station and a used car lot.
Only a single Harmony Line car escaped destruction. It sits under tarps at the Arden Trolley Museum near Washington, Pa. waiting to be restored.
|Harmony Line Main Page||The Idea||The Trolleys||The Routes|